Post-mortem / Making of
I participated in Ludum Dare 33 last weekend, and I made a point 'n click adventure game (again) - Primary Objective.
So, this was fun. Even though I missed 5+ hours because of family business, I pushed till 3+ in the morning on both nights. Yup, European timezone. I did spend quite a lot of time on the backgrounds / art, so I hope the ratings reflect that. But it cost me some polish – I had to rush the endings in the last minutes, test them, fix them, etc. The last minutes were very hectic. I did play around with the radio track for quite a bit, but I don’t regret it. It’s simple, but it sounds quite nice. And it’s officially my first game soundtrack ever! (That is actual music, not … deep sinewaves playing random patterns)
Glitchy~ (update at Sun Aug 23 12:55:18 CEST 2015)
The story might be confusing, here’s how it was supposed to go:
- You, the player, wake up in the jungle with cliché amnesia
- You find a facility in the jungle, containing an ominous-looking and -sounding machine that makes you its ‘secondary agent’ by making you wear a VR headset
- It tells you its objectives:
- You go ahead an explore the nearby hunting town, which is almost empty, except for 3 people (it’s off-season)
- You find parts of the machine in the town, but the townsfolk won’t give them for free
- As you talk to them, they grow more and more suspicious of you; they ‘disappear’ one by one – to you it looks like they just leave town or lock themselves up, etc. – it is actually the machine creating an illusion
- In reality, it controls you through the headset, making you kill all the people and forget about it
- You gather all the parts, it then reveals the final objective – Exterminate – and that you have already completed it
- Cue footage of you killing everyone one by one / the VR illusion is turned off
I know, it’s somewhat ominous and doomy-feeling, I like that kinda story. Maybe it’s for the better that I couldn’t finish it. Oh well.
First progress screenshots (at Sat Aug 22 12:07:37 CEST 2015 and Sat Aug 22 13:10:45 CEST 2015)
Progress swf, with parallax (at Sat Aug 22 15:14:42 CEST 2015)
Hope you enjoyed this game, looking forward to playing / rating yours!